Aug 20, 2012

Prickly Friends

I've almost gone to Petsmart at least a dozen times, but I just KNOW that I would leave with a furry new friend, so I've resisted. Getting a pet before a couch and dining table is just silly, so my pet yearnings are on the back burner for now. As a sort of compromise, I purchased 3 baby cacti! Not only is this the start of a new hobby, but they also fit right in with my southwest décor scheme. These pictures are from the day I brought them home in their original plastic pots. 





The tall guy is commonly known as a "Baseball Bat" cactus. They are native to Bolivia and can grow up to 20 feet tall!! The round one is a Golden Barrel from Mexico and could get up to 3 feet. "Hibotan" or "Moon Cactus" is the name of the colorful one. She could potentially grow to be 5 feet tall. Right now, they are all under 12 inches. (phew!)

I never had much interest in raising plants, but now I have a little outdoor space and there's just something about the desert landscape that I love. If you have any tips about growing cacti, let me know :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment